Thursday, January 24, 2013

Finally getting a bit warmer?

My plans from a week or so ago did not pan out.  Promises of 40+ days were just that, promises and gardening in 25-35 deg weather and the ground being colder just doesnt work for me.  Im a warm body at heart so I stayed in and worked on my crafting, which by chance had its own garden so to speak.

This week has warmed up and the threads of freezing fog lifted.  Balmy 35 deg when I woke up this morning and a promise of lows down to 35 is heartening.  Im planning on tackling blackberry canes this weekend and tossing them in the recycle bin.  Not wanting any chance of them possibly going to roost in my wanna-be compost area.  Ive got enough issues with other stuffs there.

Im still wanting to plan something this month or Feb and need to get someplace in the yard ready for anything.

More discussions on G+ Communities on ground cherries is really putting a bug in my head to grow some this year.  Ground Cherries combined with some Goose Berries (same family but a bit larger) I think would be nice looking enough to plant in the front yard where we have a very bare planter section/box right by the house.  As they are in the similar planing needs family as Tomatoes, I think getting the mother load of morning sun and the heat from the house should get them growing quite well.

Summer Squash

Having never eaten (to my knowledge) Patty Pan squash, I bought some and juiced it.  I can say that I cant taste it at all, or I dont think I can - there are a bunch of different veggies and fruit that are dumped into my homemade juices.  Anything could be hidden, except beets but Im still working on a fix for those.  I know that a couple patty pan plants can produce copious amounts of veggies, I wanted to make sure I could sneak them in a juice without too much notice.  Same goes for zucchini.  So I have a couple more veggies to add to the garden.  

Cool Gardening helpers

http://www.toppers-place.com/soil_blocks.htm

http://borntofarm.com/how-to-make-a-soil-plug-tool/

http://sustainablog.org/2013/01/the-diy-soil-block-maker-7-plans/

No comments:

Post a Comment